RE: RE: RE: paint

To: "british-cars@hoosier.utah.edu"@HERMES.intel.com
Subject: RE: RE: RE: paint
From: gendimen@t12sys.intel.com (Geronimo x54903 page 951-3432)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 11:29:32 -0800
Adding a few more cents to the paint project:

>     I personally would not paint a car with lacquer;  it's not as durable as
>enamel.  Painting a car is such a big job, that you want it to last as long as
>possible.  Lacquer's UV resistance is poor;  it tends to dry out and crack in
>the sun.

True, enamel is better in the sun, but I think a much better shine can be had
on lacquer, however a nice clear coat on top of enamel will make the car shine
like a SOB and it stands up even better in the sun.  The thing I don't like
about enamel is it's harder to spray, like jerry said, and a beginner is going
to have a difficult time getting it sprayed on right.

>SAND SCRATCHES:

>     *  Make sure the primer is good and dry before you color coat.  Maybe even
>before you do the final sanding.  The thing is, that in the case of lacquer
>primer/surfacer, it can take a week or so for all the solvents to really
>evaporate out of it.  And as long as they are evaporating, the primer is
>*shrinking*.  The bottom of a scratch is thinner than the top, so they shrink

>      *  Do a final sanding with 400 grit, or even 600 grit.  Make it really
>thorough, so you know that all the scratches remaining are fine-grit scratches.

>     One last thing:  Whether TeriAnn sprays lacquer or enamel, she must get
>her painting area clean!  The last time I did a painting project in my dirty

Primer does have to dry out and what is very important is that the correct
thinner is used for the climate (temp and humidity are the important factors).
There are several grades from fast to slow, which tells how fast it evaporates.
There are several types of primers too, red, gray and some sealers.  Red fills
and sands better, but you don't want to use red for a car you're going to paint
white.  Also, when sanding, do it wet (it's more fun wet anyway) and try to
sand in one direction, not in random patterns.  I agree, the area must be
completely clean and it must be exhausted to carry off the overspray.  Lastly,
but not least, practice safe painting; use a GOOD respirator when painting, the
kind with the small canisters.  Dust masks are OK for sanding only.  There are
also some places out there where you prep it and they spray it.

I think there's so much info on painting it's hard to digest it all and
experience is definitely the best teacher.  The point of this whole thing
(FINALLY!!!) is, if you have a car that your putting a lot of time and money in
on restoration, don't use it as a practice car for learning how to paint.
Practice on a pinto instead.  I worked in a body shop for a year and I had a
good teacher, but I still won't attempt to paint the Corvette that I'm putting
together, it's not worth the headaches. It might cost more $$ up front, but
you'll probably be happier in the long run if you have a shop paint it.  Good
luck and let me know how it comes out!!!!!!!!!

Mike Gendimenico

Mike@I.don't.paint.cars.