Re: RE: Inverted valve seats Was: British Masters Racing

To: neilson@mprgate.mpr.ca (Robert Neilson), british-cars@hoosier
Subject: Re: RE: Inverted valve seats Was: British Masters Racing
From: lupienj@hpwarq.wal.hp.com (John Lupien)
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 91 14:19:09 EST
> 1) act as a 2nd venturi and increase the velocity of the gasses into the cyl
>    or
> 2) partially block the flow of gases into the cyl
> But, aside from a this, will a speed increase at the valve actually get more
> gases flowing (I know my last batch of beer does!) into the cylinder? I
> suspect not unless it induces a velocity change at entrance to the carbie.

You suspect quite correctly - the velocity at the carb times the density
times the area equals the air flow, that's exact. However, downstream
geometry will indeed affect this.

What you left out above is

3) reduce the flow restriction into the cylinder.

I would have put 2) as "increase the flow restriction into the cylinder".

The point is that even if the diameter of hole that the gasses are flowing
through gets smaller or stays the same, smoothing out the path (by rounding out
or chamfering off the hard edges) can significantly reduce the restricitive
effects. This will lead to better flow, including upstream at the carb.

--
---
John R. Lupien