Re: No reruns when a DNF is scored

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: No reruns when a DNF is scored
From: "John F. Kelly Jr." <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 16:00:14 -0400

Message text written by "Mark J. Andy"

"My point was that if you go off course you shouldn't take forever getting
the heck outta the way and not worry much about getting back on course
so that the run isn't a DNF."

Well, I always tell a newbie s/he should get back on the course in an
appropriate place and carry on to the finish!  You only get three (3) runs
and if you skip the rest after a spin because you want to be polite, which
the above request appears to be based upon, then you won't learn the rest
of the course.
        And who knows what will catch you next time?
In other words, to do what is suggested is not the way to go.

Then there's the problem with timing. We use a JACircuits timer. It's
really trick and can handle up to eight (8) cars on course.
It's so trick it baffles most of us, especially somebody running it for the
first time who just my not know how to push the button to make up for a car
that doesn't finish.
The human condition is a factor here. And when cars are missed at the
finish, we soon have a rather large collection of re-runs to deal with.
Re-runs take TIME. And many times we don't have TIME.
        Re-runs always are a benefit to the recipient as "practice makes
perfect." We are attempting to run a fair competition and re-runs are an
unfair advantage for the driver who receives one. Or two or five.

Plus, if you note in the rule book for a red flag situation, you are
supposed to proceed SLOWLY around the course to the finish. Originally the
rule called for all drivers to exit the course and return to the
start-finish area. That was changed about five years ago because by
proceeding off course hot tires pick up a lot of crud. (Bill Martin's Lotus
Europa grew an inch taller and he was supposed to take a re-run before he
could get the tires cleaned. )
        The same thing will happen to our polite driver who leaves the
course . . .
In other words, it's best to regain the course and proceed to the finish in
ALL situations. Slowly if it's a red flag; hastily if you screwed up and
spun out.

--John Kelly