RE: Sac events 9 & 10, V700s and crazy people

To: "'Clifford Richardson'" <the_brain7@hotmail.com>, ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Sac events 9 & 10, V700s and crazy people
From: "Thana, Peter {High~Palo Alto}" <PETER.THANA@ROCHE.COM>
Date: Mon, 08 Oct 2001 12:48:22 -0700
Hey Arnold,

Glad you enjoyed the tires.  I told you that you would be a happy
customer!:)

Sorry I wasn't there to help you out with pressures and the like.  What were
you running anyway?

Near the end your tires weren't losing grip because they are old.  They were
losing grip because they were hot.  That's when they start to feel greasy.
When you can't comfortably hold your hand on them after a run, it's time to
cool them down.

Here's what you do.  Go to OSH, Home Depot, or any hardware/garden store of
your choice.  Buy a weed sprayer.  Those little translucent plastic bottles
with a pump and spray handle on them.  Should cost $10.  Then before each
autox fill it up with water, and if the tires are starting to get hot spray
them down with some water after each run.  Typically on a hot day at Mather
you will need to do this after 3 runs or so.

If you have space it's not a bad idea to order a new set before the old runs
out, but if you want to save some cash I wouldn't necessarily switch to the
new ones until the old ones cord, providing that you aren't going to drive
them on the street.  They should grip okay right until they cord, although
the rubber will gradually get harder with more heat cycles.

I'd anticipate the tires I sold you should last for the rest of the events
this year at Mather, unless you are severely camber-challenged and they cord
on the outside shoulder.

Also, if you run bald Kumhos at GGF, don't expect miracle grip like you got
at Mather.  The rocky nature of the surface and the marbles there like some
tread on the tires.  Expect the experience to be much more similar to street
tires.

Good luck!
Peter