Re: No reruns when a DNF is scored

To: "'ba-autox@autox.team.net'" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: No reruns when a DNF is scored
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Oct 2001 13:42:03 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 8 Oct 2001, Grantz, Sherry wrote:
> Please enlighten us on why we should take to heart your comments on the
> running of SFR events (and the maligning of the dumbasses who spin or DNF)?

First off, I'm not maligning the "dumbasses who spin or DNF".  I don't
think people who do that are dumb #1, and I wasn't maligning them in any
event.  In fact, at Mather last weekend, I was one of those dumbasses a
couple times :-)

My point was that if you go off course you shouldn't take forever getting
the heck outta the way and not worry much about getting back on course
so that the run isn't a DNF.

> Do you run SFR events? (Can't find your name in the series points, but I
> don't want to spend the time searching the bottom of every class)? Do you
> only run Nationals events? Do you own an autocross car (oops, bad question
> ... I don't).

Hell, I own two "autocross" cars.

Some history on me.

I'm from Pittsburgh, PA.  This year I've been out here a ton on business.
I started autox'ing in '98 in a neon in DS.  Mid '00, I switched to CP
because I figured if I was gonna get spanked at national events I'd do it
in a class where the cars scare people more.  I'm a midpack-ish driver at
national events and usually do pretty well at local events.  I'm _not_ a
hotshoe by any means.

This year I've run a buncha stuff in the bay area, usually in a street
tire miata but I've also bought rides in a CS MR2 at the Atwater Pro and a
BSP 'vette at Divisionals.  I've run with SFR at GGF and ??? (event far
away near rt. 99, can't remember the town), AAS, Sac SCCA, and CSCC at
Mather, and NASA at Marina.  Lately I've been running at "other than SFR"
events because the car owner has been coming with me and the other clubs
don't require an SCCA membership and usually give more runs (btw, she
(Aleecia) signed up this past weekend at Mather, so you'll probably see
her at some SFR stuff now).

> This is a place where everyone can express their point of view, but it's
> relevant for those who haven't been around forever to know who's making the
> statements. Is it someone who has lots of experience here and could be
> making a valid point? Or not (polite rephrasing of what I wanted to write)?

No need to be polite with me, but I also don't mind responding in kind :-)

I'm not an expert, I'm usually pretty open and blunt with my opinions, and
I'm sure plenty of people think I'm an ass.  I would hope that most people
that know me respect me, but that's up to them to say.  Plenty of people
on this list have talked to me quite a bit and I'm sure they'll be happy
to tell you how much of a dick I am.  :-)

As to wheter I'm making a valid point or not, that's up to you folks to
decide.  I venture to say that I've probably seen more autoxing groups
across the country than most folks as a result of the travel I've done and
the number of events I attend, but that likely means I've just seen more
of the incorrect way of doing things.  :-)

Mark