re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock

To: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>, ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock
From: "pethier@isd.net" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:14:06 -0600
>    They wanted to make sure that their new tires would be
> legal with their 140 rating.  Bridgestone chose that
> rating expressly to get the best marketing position for
> their sticky tires, while still remaining SCCA-legal.
> They are, however, willing and able to change it up or
> down, if the SCCA rule changes.
>
>    Think about that for a minute, and tell me how well the
> current street tire rule is going to scale up.

There is an exclusion list in the rules. I don't believe
there are any tires on it just now.    SEB can slap a tire
on this list at any time.  Somebody tries to slip by a
super-sticky tire and the SEB doesn't like it, it goes on
the list.

Right now, the Falken Azenis is a good tire for ST classes.
These tires are pretty cheap (I just bought a set for 300
bucks or so).  The SEB is unlikely to pull the plug on
these.  Somebody comes up with tire as sticky as a Kumho
710, for twice the price of a Falken, claims a tire wear of
140, and the SEB ought to pop it directly unto the exclusion
list.

1962 TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban, 1994 Miata
C package
pethier@isd.net
http://forum.mnautox.com/forums/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pethier