re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock

To: ax-digest@autox.team.net
Subject: re: GH's Question on Street Tires for Stock
From: David Hillman <hillman@planet-torque.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:46:47 -0500 (EST)
jdmurphy47@aol.com wrote...
> Mark,
> 1. I have heard that Fedral tire regulations may tighten down on this
> wear rating.  It can always be increased.
> 2. I have been told by the ST drivers that their tires last longer than
> the Kumhos so your cost per run goes down.

   The Chicago Region has a stand at the Chicago Auto Show every year, and
this year, I happened to be working it when a representative from the
Bridgestone stand came by to ask us "What will the street tire rule be
this year?"

   They wanted to make sure that their new tires would be legal with their
140 rating.  Bridgestone chose that rating expressly to get the best
marketing position for their sticky tires, while still remaining
SCCA-legal.  They are, however, willing and able to change it up or
down, if the SCCA rule changes.

   Think about that for a minute, and tell me how well the current
street tire rule is going to scale up.

--
 David Hillman
 #26 B1