RE: Wireless autocross timing equipment?

To: <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wireless autocross timing equipment?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:35:53 -0500
> My two comments are that three digits of accuracy are required, and that
> current timing
> equipment that offers three digits of resolution may not
> (probably doesn't?)
> have enough
> accuracy to time to +/- 0.001 seconds anyway, but we like to think it does
> and score our
> events accordingly.

It depends on how you define accuracy.  With a wired system is is very easy
(ie, cheap) to make a system with much better than 0.001 resolution (even if
you only show 0.001) that will be accurate when comparing cars timed at
different times of the day on the same system.

It becomes slightly more difficult if you need to compare elapsed times
taken on systems that cannot be synchronized.  Then you need to know that
the clocks are running at the same speed to within 0.001/(elapsed time).