RE: Wireless autocross timing equipment?

To: "Autox" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wireless autocross timing equipment?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <fuhrmann@cpinternet.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jun 2002 20:35:52 -0500
> But for a dual setup.. one start trigger and one finish trigger to allow
> multiple cars on course with start and finish triggers in separate
> locations, an accurate connection would have to exist (wires) between them
> since the important timing separation is between start and finish
> triggers.

Not at all.  It depends on the stability of the clock.  If the clocks are
stable enough, you can synchronize them once and they then just send a time
stamped message any time they see an object.
The GPS system relies on comparing the time signals from various satelites.
I suspect that there are no wires between them to synchronize the clocks.

> In the future, there will probably be time signals over the airwaves (does
> GPS do that?) so you could have multiple wireless timers spread throughout

There have been time signals over the airwaves since 1923.  See
http://www.boulder.nist.gov/timefreq/stations/wwv.html

The GPS time code is also available.