Re: Time for a NEW SCCA logo

To: "Team.Net" <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Time for a NEW SCCA logo
From: "Jamie Sculerati" <jamies@mrj.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 2001 20:20:14 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Zahornasky <p.zahornasky@att.net>

> Just what in the world is a wire wheel?
>
> Yes, I know what it is.  My point is that the wire wheel died almost
thirty
> years ago, before I was born probably.  As our older members leave and get
> replaced by newer (younger) members, the wire wheel has less and less
> meaning.  When I think of a Sports Car, I think of wide low profile tires
on
> alloy rims, not thin bias ply, tube type tyres on skinny wire wheels that
> need to be trued every once in a while.
>
> Times change.  We should change the wire wheel to something that better
> represents the current cars owned by our members.

Suffer through a war story for me:

I was attached to NASA for a couple of years after the headquarters ditched
the old blue meatball (an image of the Earth with an orbiting spacecraft)
and adopted a newer (possibly hipper) logo, promptly dubbed the "NASA worm."
You don't see the worm anymore, though -- after several years, our fearless
leaders figured out that the blue meatball was more recognizable -- even to
people who hadn't been born when the last moon shot came home.

There's a certain value to continuity and remembering where you started.
I'm willing to bet that more of the newer members than you'd think recognize
a wire wheel, and would probably associate a low-profile tire on a mag wheel
with Hot Wheels sooner than with the SCCA.    That doesn't mean change isn't
desirable, just that you shouldn't jettison what you started with, just
because it's "old" -- you might find it's not as outdated as you think.

Jamie
'92 Prelude Si
Speed Demon Racing
http://www.mindspring.com/~jsculerati/sdr