Re: Coolant?

To: eric10mm@qni.com, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Coolant?
From: "Larry Steckel" <lorenzoscribe@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:47:39 -0500
Eric,
Normal antifreezes are designed to give the best benefit (freeze protection
and boil protection ) when mixed in a 50%/50% ratio. If  you look at the
chart on any full strength antifreeze bottle it will show a -34F freeze
protection and the best boil over protection at that mixture. So pouring one
bottle of full strength antifreeze and one bottle of water will achieve the
desired mix.

Yes. Antifreeze is available pre-mixed. A lot of large trucking companies
buy it this way because it is less expensive on a per gallon basis and they
don't have to depend on the line mechanic making the correct calculations as
to what is a 50/50 mix on a 40 or 50 gallon cooling system.

You won't normally find this product at WalMart. You probably won't find it
at most local parts stores either, but if you buy from someone who works
with truck fleets, or at some of the independent "bargain mart" stores who
always seem to have dynamite low prices, you might very well run into
antifreeze that is labeled "pre-mixed". And in that case you have to make
sure that the product is a 50/50 mix that will yield a -34F freezing point.

Larry Steckel