RE: Coolant?

To: "Jason Isley" <Jason.Isley@alltel.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Coolant?
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 20:16:40 -0600
Coolant doesn't just keep the engine from freezing.  It also reduces the
pressure inside the radiator at temperatures over 212 F and raises the
temperature at which the water boils.

Miniscule amounts of coolant from a drained engine are not significant for
boil over protection.  Charts of the boiling point are usually readily
available where you get the anti-freeze.

The "friendly" anti-freeze that I have seen is Propylene Glycol.  Very
similar to the standard stuff except that it is LESS toxic.

The coolants are all basically the same stuff with "additives" added.  I
have no reason to trust one company's additives over another's.