Re: 914

To: Daniel Salive <trek1701@mnsi.net>
Subject: Re: 914
From: Mark Sirota <msirota@isc.upenn.edu>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 10:47:46 -0500
Daniel Salive wrote:
> I was just wondering if anyone had any experience in autocrossing
> Porsche 914s (specifically the 2.0L 4 cyl version) and weather or
> not they were competitive cars.

914s have historically been very popular autocross cars, in every
category.  The '73-'74 2-liter is the top choice for Stock, usually.

In my opinion, the big weakness is flex in the rear trailing arms.
With good sticky tires on a sticky surface, the trailing arms and
the mounts flex enough that the halfshaft is driven in towards the
gearbox, and everything binds up.  This can be fixed in Prepared
and Modified categories, but not in Stock or Street Prepared.

Classing in Stock is a bit tough, and appropriately so -- there's
hardly such a thing as a truly Stock 914 anymore.  Further, the US
spec for front ride height was absurdly high (right, Byron?)  I
believe 914's are now allowed to run at their "normal" ride height,
but they are unfavorably classed in BS with Miatae.

Mark