Yokohama A032 tires?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Yokohama A032 tires?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 17:35:04 -0500
Hey,

I'm very near the point of ordering up a set of light 15x7 wheels and
some streetable 205/50 "R tires" to go on them.  Yes, I know they won't
last long on the street, this has all been factored into the equation.

The major contenders for my money have been the Yokohama 008RS (which I
understand has been discontinued unless I want the RSII... which I do
not) and the Kumho V700.  Since I've heard of so many people using 008's
on the street, that was going to be my first choice... but it is no
longer an option.  Kumhos would work... but what about A032s?

Here's the question.  Only those who have actually driven their car on
these tires need reply.  I know they're noisy.  But my only experience
with them has been to notice that they were loud in passing... and that
was a fairly wide (245?  Wide for a Saturn!) tire.  So, are they that
noisy in the narrower widths? (205)  Do they get quieter as the tread
wears down?  Any other observations?  Relative competitiveness is not an
issue, I just want something that's better than a street tire for
autocross yet can still be driven on the street for 6 months/8,000
miles.

I know the Kumhos would work, but I'd feel more comfortable with some
rain grooves for my drive to work.

PS:  I know Toyos are another option, but I don't want to have to search
for them, and I don't feel there's enough "customer feedback" available
on them yet.

PPS:  The wheels I'm looking at are Enkei RP01's in 15x7, 4x100, 37 or
greater offset.  They weigh in at about 16 lbs, a little less than my
stock 15x6's.  Anyone have experience with anything available in that
size, that weight (or less), for a reasonable (around $150/wheel) price?

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca