Re: Yokohama A032 tires?

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yokohama A032 tires?
From: "D. Engelhaupt" <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 01:36:48 -0700 (PDT)
Loren,

Sorry I haven't helped out with this issue after my original posts,
but I haven't checked my e-mail all weekend.  Now onto the questions.

> >As far as wheels go the Rota
> > Circuit 8 wheels are nice, lightweight, in a 38mm offset, and 4x100
> > bolt pattern at $135/wheel.  The are a 15x6.5, but that is plenty
wide
> > for a 205/50/15 tire.  You can see them at:
> >
> > http://www.rspeed.net/store/item.cfm?category=17&partNum=405-305
>
> They're not quite as pretty as the Enkei RP01 wheels, but at that
> weight, who cares???  My only question would be durability.  Anyone
know
> what a Miata weighs? (oh yeah, like that question could go
> unanswered...)  And how much of that weight is on one axle?  The
Saturn
> tips in at about 2500 with driver, and I'd guess 70% of that is on the
> front wheels.  Can the Rotas handle that?

***
A Miata weighs 2250 without a driver (not as light as you think).
With me as a driver it bumps it up to about 2430.  As far as weight on
the axels it is almost exactly 50/50.  I believe 30lbs separates the
front from the rear.  I don't think you have to worry about them
holding up to the stress since you Saturn is probably more like 60/40
as far as weight is concerned.  You can check that out by looking on
the inside of your drivers side door.  It should have both axel
weights in there. If you hit something hard enough, any rim will bend.
 I found that out in my Neon when I hit a pothole in DC at about 60mph
with my American Racing rims I had on it.  One more point, why not run
them and if you do bend one of them it's only $135 bucks for a new one
unlike some of the more expensive lightweight rims out there.  I know
the 15/7 Volk TE-37s tip the expensometer at $400/wheel.
***

> Could very well be.  I've found it quite handy to just say "I need a
> 15x7 that will fit a Miata" because most wheel manufacturers don't
list
> Saturn as a fitment for all of their wheels.
>

> Is there any internet-based info on these tires anywhere?  Photos,
> comparison tests, that sort of thing?

***
In one of your later posts you asked about price.  My 195/50/15s ran
me about $117.00/tire but since I bought wheels and tires at the same
time that price included mounting, balencing (speed balencing on the
car), and valve stems.  The 205/50/15s run about $133/tire.  Those
prices are for the T-1 not the RA-1.  The RA-1s should be compareable
to the Kuhmo V700 tires in price +/- $5/tire.  If you go to Toyo.com
you can find a local distributer listed for your area.  Sport Compact
car did a write up on the T-1s about 4 months ago (?) and raved about
the T-1s wet and dry traction as well as longevity.  I'd try and find
the issue, but unfortuneatly my whole apartment is packed in
preparation to move to St. Paul, MN.  Otherwise I'd try to scan it and
send it to you.  I drive the hell out of mine (now with 12k on them)
and they look almost new.  I'm not saying Toyo's are cheap by any
means, because they're not.  I've been sold on them though.
***
===
Derek Engelhaupt
Customer Engineer
Hewlett Packard
'97 White Mazda Miata with K0NI's, 15" K0NIG GT-Rs, T0Y0 T-1s, and
rollbar
Odenton, MD

I'm not offended by all the dumb blond jokes because I know I'm
not dumb...  and I also know that I'm not blond.
-- Dolly Parton