Re: Yokohama A032 tires?

To: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>, autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yokohama A032 tires?
From: "D. Engelhaupt" <derekengelhaupt@rocketmail.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 21:39:36 -0700 (PDT)
Well, I believe I can help you on both counts.  I know you don't want
to search around for Toyos, I can say that the Toyo RA-1 are being run
as street tires by about a handfull of Miata owners.  One guy is
running them on the street plus autoXing and has about 10k on them so
far and they aren't near cording yet.  As far as wheels go the Rota
Circuit 8 wheels are nice, lightweight, in a 38mm offset, and 4x100
bolt pattern at $135/wheel.  The are a 15x6.5, but that is plenty wide
for a 205/50/15 tire.  You can see them at:

http://www.rspeed.net/store/item.cfm?category=17&partNum=405-305

The R-Speed site is dedicated to Miata's, but the guys there are would
probably be nice enough to do a little research for you on getting the
right hubcentric rings for their Rota wheels to match your Saturn.  As
a side note, they also sell Toyo tires.  Isn't the Miata community
great?  ;)

I run 195/50/15 Toyo T-1+ Proxies on the street and absolutely love
them...not that I'm biased toward Toyo or anything. ;)
===
Derek Engelhaupt
Customer Engineer
Hewlett Packard
'97 White Mazda Miata
Odenton, MD

Television - a medium.
So called because it is neither rare nor well done.
--Ernie Kovacs

---Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com> wrote:

> Hey,
>
> I'm very near the point of ordering up a set of light 15x7 wheels and
> some streetable 205/50 "R tires" to go on them.  Yes, I know they
won't
> last long on the street, this has all been factored into the equation.
>
> The major contenders for my money have been the Yokohama 008RS
(which I
> understand has been discontinued unless I want the RSII... which I do
> not) and the Kumho V700.  Since I've heard of so many people using
008's
> on the street, that was going to be my first choice... but it is no
> longer an option.  Kumhos would work... but what about A032s?
>
> Here's the question.  Only those who have actually driven their car on
> these tires need reply.  I know they're noisy.  But my only experience
> with them has been to notice that they were loud in passing... and
that
> was a fairly wide (245?  Wide for a Saturn!) tire.  So, are they that
> noisy in the narrower widths? (205)  Do they get quieter as the tread
> wears down?  Any other observations?  Relative competitiveness is
not an
> issue, I just want something that's better than a street tire for
> autocross yet can still be driven on the street for 6 months/8,000
> miles.
>
> I know the Kumhos would work, but I'd feel more comfortable with some
> rain grooves for my drive to work.
>
> PS:  I know Toyos are another option, but I don't want to have to
search
> for them, and I don't feel there's enough "customer feedback"
available
> on them yet.
>
> PPS:  The wheels I'm looking at are Enkei RP01's in 15x7, 4x100, 37 or
> greater offset.  They weigh in at about 16 lbs, a little less than my
> stock 15x6's.  Anyone have experience with anything available in that
> size, that weight (or less), for a reasonable (around $150/wheel)
price?