Re: Yokohama A032 tires?

To: autox list <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Yokohama A032 tires?
From: Loren Williams <Loren@kscable.com>
Date: Sun, 04 Jul 1999 15:11:46 -0500

"D. Engelhaupt" wrote:

> Well, I believe I can help you on both counts.  I know you don't want
> to search around for Toyos, I can say that the Toyo RA-1 are being run
> as street tires by about a handfull of Miata owners.  One guy is
> running them on the street plus autoXing and has about 10k on them so
> far and they aren't near cording yet.  As far as wheels go the Rota
> Circuit 8 wheels are nice, lightweight, in a 38mm offset, and 4x100
> bolt pattern at $135/wheel.  The are a 15x6.5, but that is plenty wide
> for a 205/50/15 tire.  You can see them at:
>
> http://www.rspeed.net/store/item.cfm?category=17&partNum=405-305

They're not quite as pretty as the Enkei RP01 wheels, but at that
weight, who cares???  My only question would be durability.  Anyone know
what a Miata weighs? (oh yeah, like that question could go
unanswered...)  And how much of that weight is on one axle?  The Saturn
tips in at about 2500 with driver, and I'd guess 70% of that is on the
front wheels.  Can the Rotas handle that?

> The R-Speed site is dedicated to Miata's, but the guys there are would
> probably be nice enough to do a little research for you on getting the
> right hubcentric rings for their Rota wheels to match your Saturn.  As
> a side note, they also sell Toyo tires.  Isn't the Miata community
> great?  ;)

Could very well be.  I've found it quite handy to just say "I need a
15x7 that will fit a Miata" because most wheel manufacturers don't list
Saturn as a fitment for all of their wheels.

> I run 195/50/15 Toyo T-1+ Proxies on the street and absolutely love
> them...not that I'm biased toward Toyo or anything. ;)

Is there any internet-based info on these tires anywhere?  Photos,
comparison tests, that sort of thing?

--
Loren Williams | Homepage - http://www2.southwind.net/~lsw
'94 Saturn SC2 | Wichita Region SCCA - http://www2.southwind.net/~scca