Re: clutch fork question

To: Lizirbydavis@cs.com, ianp@nait.ab.ca
Subject: Re: clutch fork question
From: Irv Korey <emanteno@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 22:24:25 -0600
At 06:47 PM 2/18/03 -0500, Lizirbydavis@cs.com wrote:

>I've considered  welding the fork to the shaft.  I too have heard that this
>is not such a great thing to do.  I can't imagine why.  Obviously it would be
>permanent, and the shaft would have to be removed with a hack saw.  I've
>gotten pretty good at this lately.  Of the three trannys that I have in the
>garage, ALL THREE had sheared off.  This makes it impossible to remove the
>shaft/fork assembly without the saw treatment.  As shafts only cost around
>$25.00, whats wrong with the weld job?  Any comments?

Others have mentioned that you can drill another hole in the shaft at a 90
degree angle to the fork pin and run a bolt through there. This truly
works, even in racing conditions. Why bodge up the works by welding them
together when there is such a simple, cheap, and effective fix?

By the way, there is also a fairly simple technique for removing the broken
bit of pin from the assembly so that you don't have to hack the shaft.

Irv Korey
74 TR6 CF22767U
63 TR4 VSCDA Group 2 #58
Highland Park, IL