RE: RE: She no run...

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: RE: She no run...
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 08:23:08 -0600
in view of everything else you've done, I'd look for a bad ignition coil (or
replace it anyway on principle.) I bought an old TR6, had it shipped from
Indiana, watched as the trucker drove it onto the driveway ... and
thereafter it refused to start. Problem turned out to be a bad coil that had
picked that occasion to quit (which was good, since the trucker would have
charged me a lot more money for dealing with a dead car that had to be
winched in and out.)

some other ideas:

--put a timing light on a spark plug wire to make sure you're getting a
spark as the engine cranks.

--double-check the dwell with a dwell meter as the engine cranks. if it's
way off, your points gap is off.

--sounds dumb but we've all done it ... are you sure you put the wires on
the correct distributor terminals when you replaced them?

--check all the secondary wires between the coil and the distibutor. they're
often loose/cracked/rotten.

--others on this list may STRONGLY disagree, but I have been know to use a
shot of ether-based starting fluid sprayed into the air cleaner to get my
LBCs started when all else fails, and have never suffered anything bad. The
trick is to use only a LITTLE bit, not enough to cause an explosion that
rips your engine in half. If you use starting fluid and the engine starts
and then will run, that suggests a carb problem (though it could still be a
wobbly dizzy or borderline spark). If you use fluid and it still won't start
or fire, that suggests a total lack of spark. (note: I would make sure the
spark plug wires are hooked up correctly BEFORE you try this, since you
would not want ignition with starting fluid occurring at the wrong place in
the cycle.)

--there's an old rule of auto repair that says, "When you're 99 percent sure
it's a carburetor problem, it's probably the ignition." So my vote continues
to be an ignition problem.

--Graham