Re: RE: RE: She no run...

To: mbullard@hawaii.rr.com, jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com
Subject: Re: RE: RE: She no run...
From: mbullard <mbullard@hawaii.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 10:37:20 -0800 (PST)
Jim,

I've answered in the body of your email. Everyone else, you all given me
some great suggestions.  As it is only 8:30 in the AM, I will be taking the
kids to school and then trying many of these.  I will let you all know.

Many thanks,

Mark

<jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com> wrote.
>Mark,
>
>After your friend set the timing, was it truly back to normal? (seemed to
be) How far
>was the timing off? (Not really sure but I don't think very much) Did you
drive it for a few days...noticing nothing
>unusual...normal power etc? (Yes about two days all normal) Did the engine
rev as normal? (Yes)

>Did you notice anything on your trip to CA. Maybe a gradual, slight,
>loss of power? (No the car ran terrific across the country) A loss that at
the time you may have attributed to the
>need for a good tune-up? (I didn't receive anything from the seller so I
thought it prudent to do some minor repairs, maybe I should have left well
enough alone.)

>From what you have described, " It tries real hard, even grabs sometimes
>but it sounds horrible", it sounds like the cam timing may be off!
>
>If it jumps one tooth...the engine will be hard starting and very
>sluggish. If it jumps several teeth you may get bent valves!
>
>Have you checked the valve adjustment? (No, this is actually something that
I was planning on doing as my mechanic friend said they sounded like they
needed adjusting) This isn't a likely cause due to
>the fact that you drove the car for quite a distance on your trip home.
>It's worth a look though!
>
>Spark, fuel, and compression all at the right time will usually cause an
>engine to run!
>
>Something is missing.
>
>Pull the plugs, are they wet? (1 & 6 seem to be wetter and blacker than the
others)

>If not....
>
>Put them back in.
>
>Using a spray can of Carb cleaner, squirt a little into the throat of
>each carb.
>
>Immediately try to start the engine.
>
>If it fires and runs for a few seconds, there will be a good chance that
>your problem is fuel related.
>
>Jim Swarthout

Mark Bullard
'74 Tr6