Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: favres@engmail.ulinear.com, vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: MHKitchen <MHKitchen@aol.com>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 12:01:13 EST
THought I'd throw my 2 cents worth in on this topic.

For engines, the majority of wear occurs during cold startup.  Some of the
synthetics claim they improve this, but I've yet to see any specific test data
on this condition.

I'm a firm believer in changing oil and filter reguarly (every race weekend),
so the added expense and questionable benefit of using synthetic for this when
I'm changing it so often seems to dictate that conventional oil is just fine
for the engine.  Even though synthetic will certainly last longer, changing
the oil has greater benefit by removing any particles that may be suspended in
it.

For the transmission and rear end, I've found that synthetics are superior.  I
was going through a ring and pinion in a season with normal gear oil.  I now
use Torco synthetic, and change it every race weekend.  I have at least
doubled the life of the ring & pinion.  Also, using synthetic in the gear box
has quieted it down, and made it shift easier (straight cut gears, no
synchros).

Finally, I'm a believer in Water Wetter.  My old Suburban used to get quite
hot on the July pull through the mountains on the way to Seattle.  I put WW in
and saw about a 20 degree drop in coolant temp.  I've been using it in the
Cortina also, and never overheat.  CSRG does not permit coolant, so just water
and WW is all I use.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128