Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: jisbelljr@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 13:21:02 PST
You wrote:

>Dont you see the irony of these two statements?  Why dont the big oil
>companies make, and the car manufacxtuers use Redline and Royal Purple
>Max?  Must be something wrong with them, right?  Personaly I have not
>seen that Redline did a thing to reduce the temperature in either my
>Lola FF or in my Jaguar XJS.

Because the big oil companies make their own synthetic oils. Mobil 1,
Castrol Syntec, Valvoline synthetic, etc. etc. etc. There IS room for
competition, particularly in application specific areas like racing.
Making oil is different from selling snake oil.

Temperature isn't the only issue.  Wear is another.  Synthetics can
reduce wear.  OTOH, there are plenty of cars on the road that went 200k,
300, 500k with NO special treatment, magic elixer, or particular
attention.  Having such a car proves nothing.  Sometimes you just get
lucky.  Wear is something that can be measured.  Dyno results are
something else that can be measured.  If you don't believe me quoting
the dyno results for Royal Purple, call the guy who sold it to me.  His
name is Roger Kraus and he runs a tire shop that provides race tires &
support for Northern Cal racers.  He races a Porsche 944 in SCCA.  His
number is (510) 886-4636.  He ran the dyno tests on his own car.

I had some specific wear problems in my race motor that the added film
strength of synthetic oils seems to reduce.  I use Mobil 1 in the motor.
I decided to try the Royal Purple in the transaxle on Roger Kraus'
recommendation.  The particulates on the magnetic drain plug were
reduced.