Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: hayes@mediaone.net
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 1997 19:51:13 -0500
Simon Favre wrote:
> I had some specific wear problems in my race motor that the added film
> strength of synthetic oils seems to reduce.  I use Mobil 1 in the motor.
> I decided to try the Royal Purple in the transaxle on Roger Kraus'
> recommendation.  The particulates on the magnetic drain plug were
> reduced.

I use Mobil I in my '62 ALfa 1600, 157 HP @ 7000 on the dyno, over 3000
miles of racing on it. Oil pressure as broken in, compression +/- 5 lbs.
Used to get 4 hours racing off bearings in the 60s, now 50+ hours show
little wear.
Use Redline MTL in the gearbox, Mobil 1 90W in the axle.
Synthetics work. I use it in all the cars (6). The auto parts people
love me - I buy oil in $100+ lots!
--
Jim Hayes  Winchester, MA, USA
hayes@mediaone.net         http://www.fotec.com/jim.htm