Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50

To: BFEKENG@aol.com
Subject: Re: Magnets on your petrol and Slick50
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 1997 15:49:18 PST
There is an issue, you are right.  There is a property of oils called
lubricity.  For some types of cars and some types of synchros, some
synthetics have too much lubricity.  They are too "slippery" and they
prevent the synchros from gripping well enough to do their job.  The
folks at Redline like to think they have solved the problem, but they
can't be sure it will work in all cars.  Old Alfas, for example, could
have either of 2 different types of synchros with 2 very different
lubrication requirements.  I was running the 50/50 mix of MT90 and
conventional oil in my FJ transaxle, and shifting was better than
conventional alone.  I did not try the MT90 alone.  The full synthetic I
am on now appears to be better still.  My transaxle is an oddball, so it
may not apply to others.  This is a case where testimonials may have
SOME value.  If you can find somebody with a car EXACTLY like yours, and
he has the race miles to prove his solution works, try it.

The problem with conventional oils is that under the stresses of racing,
the film strength isn't enough to prevent metal to metal contact. This
knowledge could have saved me about $2k in tranny work. ;=(