Re: Spit 5 speed

To: "Gregory W. Smith" <gsmith@cvn.net>
Subject: Re: Spit 5 speed
From: "Graham Stretch" <technical@iwnet.screaming.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 22:01:48 -0000
Hi Gregory
The Back of the Spit engine and the back of the slant four engine are very
different, and the backplates for each have dowels in to locate the input
shaft and crank on the same axis the hardest part of this swap would be
ensuring that the two items remain on the same axis to prevent damage to the
box also how does the size of the five speed compare to the four. the input
shaft pilot would probably need a custom bush and a clutch plate to match
the Spit cover and 7 input shaft would be needed. Most
things can be done, a friend of mine has a herald estate that used to have
2500 saloon engine and box, the engine is the same (basically) as the
Vittesse / GT6 and an easy fit, the gearbox however is the same as the TR6
and was a sod to fit involving removing the heater box to create space for
the bell housing!
Find an O/D box and have six (or seven with a special switch cam) gears!

Graham.