Re: Spit 5 speed

To: Tburke4@aol.com
Subject: Re: Spit 5 speed
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 2000 06:22:24 -0800
>If you don't mind, I have a question based on yours. You must have
>considered, at some point, the idea of putting the TR7 (aluminnum?) engine
>and tranny in the Spit. I haven't seen much about this swap. Does it seem
>feasible in terms of dimensions, weight, etc.?
>
>Has anyone else seen such a swap?
Actually yes, the factory did.  Took basically the same engine and tried to
stuff it in a Spitfire early on.  There is a picture of the vehicle with
the engine, minus the bonnet in one of the books I have (can't think of the
title off hand).  They found out it took way too much work to install.
This engine is much taller, but lays over slightly (slant four)  It
mentioned in the article that installation required quite a bit of frame
carving, and most likely bonnet reshaping (I believe  a large bonnet bulge
but it's been a while since I read this) to fit.  It apparently ran like a
scalded rat though. . .

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)