Re: Newbie

To: Adam Bradley <ambradley@yahoo.com>, Arthur <maybee@zebra.net>
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Joseph Roach <jroach@qualcomm.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 00:14:42 -0800
Adam,
I disagree with your assessment that a 5-speed is not a good mate for a
1600. It is the one improvement that will provide the most smiles for the
miles! Highway cruising will be a lot more enjoyable and, I have to say,
that my roadster seems to pull stronger in 5th gear on inclines than a lot
of other vehicles.

The gearing differences between a 4-speed and 5-speed are in 1st and 2nd
gears. From a standing start the 5-speed may seem a bit sluggish. However,
I gladly trade that for what seems to be greater performance range (at same
RPM, higher MPH in 5-speed). I find the 5-speed gearing much more to my
liking in the twisties where I can use 1st and 2nd gear more in the higher
RPMs which with the 4-speed would require a shift to be at the same MPH.

Joseph Roach
65 1500
San Diego