Re: Newbie

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie
From: Ronnie Day <ronday@home.com>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 12:57:18 -0600
>Are the close ratio gears still available for the 5-speeds??? Does it have
>a lower 1st gear? Do you think that would solve some of the sluggishness in
>first?

I don't think they are still avaiable, but you can occasionally find
gearboxes with them installed. First, as Gordon already explained, they
really are specialty gear sets designed for use behind race engines.
Second, I'd suspect if you found either a trans or gearset, the cost of a
quality rebuild or install would scare you, probably in the high hundred
to low $1K range, if you could get the other bits to complete it.

I've said it before, and I'll keep saying it, the best performance bang
for the buck is to swap in a 4.11 rear end, preferably with limited slip.
You can also go with shorter tires (smaller aspect ratio), or both. Yes,
it makes highway RPM a bit higher, but few of these cars are neither
normally used as highway crusiers. You'll need to recalibrate your
speedometer if you do either.

FWI, Ron

The ACL Group
Arlington, Texas