Re: Significant Other Class

To: autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Significant Other Class
From: Charles Spitzer <charles_spitzer@stratus.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 10:25:44
well, let me put on my other hat, or at least my wetsuit. my wife and i
race catamaran sailboats. racing is broken down into a, b, c, and novice
fleets. you start in novice, and  after 1 year, or winning a series
(usually some number of races), you graduate to c fleet. you then remain in
a fleet until you win a series, and then get bumped up one fleet. you
remain in your fleet, basically forever, until you get good enough to beat
the ones in your fleet. if you don't sail for a year, you go down 1 fleet,
but never get back into novice once you leave it. you are also given the
option of requesting  bumping yourself up one or more fleet, but this is up
to the decision of the rest of the people in the fleet. this is really
necessary as an inexperienced boater could easily get hurt or die on some
ocean races. i'm not sure this would be applicable to autox.

seems to me this would solve a lot of problems i see in the present autox
scheme; allowing one to race against their peers rather than being thrown
from novice into a class where they may not do well for years, if ever.
this would also prevent someone from being totally disheartened and leaving
the sport.

regards,
charlie
phx, az