RE: Significant Other Class

To: Justin Hughes <ka1ult@channel1.com>,
Subject: RE: Significant Other Class
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 1999 12:20:01 -0700
Well, I've been joking awhile, but I just want to say something almost kind
of serious, just for a second.

First of all, I think the S.O. name would have to change, because it just
occurred to me that, hello, my co-driver Sandy Pessoney ran in BSL, while I
ran in BS Open in Dallas. And doh, it just dawned on me that given my little
soapbox rants, someone might think she is my s.o. Um, hello, uh, NO?

That being said, I really think that for the long term success of Solo II,
we need to keep things, organizationally wise, as simple as possible.

Of course, what I think really means SQUAT.

But seriously, I think Solo II's problem, if you can call it a problem, is
that all the rulesmakers are autocrossers themselves.

Why is this a problem? Because it's almost impossible to take your own ego
and biases out of your decision making.

And I think a second problem, or should I say reality, of autocross is that
we all are own coaches. This is a problem because it's human nature to be
far more critical of ourselves than necessary. If we were better
self-coaches, we could look at our failures and success more more
objectively, and we could actually find VALUE in finishing 14th or 23rd or
whatever. Because really, what ANY sport is about is your own personal
improvement.

But because we autocrossers also have the power invent all of our own rules,
we tend to want rules to make us FEEL better.

That's what I keep reading on this list, anyway. And I hear it all the time
in random conversations. We're not happy with our driving, so we want the
rules to be set up to MOTIVATE us. And I just don't think that's SCCA's or
the SEB's job. I think their job is to make the rules FAIR.

And sometimes, what's fair SUCKS!

So, in short, if you want to feel good about yourself, you're kind of ON
YOUR OWN. Don't change the rules to give yourself a better self esteem!

later,
Katie