Re: Significant Other Class

To: "Greg Lee" <greg@ThumbsUpRacing.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Significant Other Class
From: "Justin Hughes" <ka1ult@channel1.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 15:31:04 -0400
>As best as I can recall, the idea of competing against others of similar
>talent/experience/native ability/determination/car preparation/RESULTS was
>postulated by one Ben Thatcher (aka "The SCCA Anti-Christ", a title FAR
from
>the truth)   in a publication known as North American Pylon a couple of
>years ago.  I must admit that Ben presented an eloquent case for classing
>drivers based on results.  If I remember correctly, he proposed either
three
>or five levels where drivers competed against each other based on the
>results of prior competition. I thought this was brilliant "out of the box"
>thinking.  He even had a concept that took into account drivers that
>sandbagged in order to be classed at a lower level.
>
>I think that concept is exactly what Katie (who by the way is my favorite
>writer, Hemmingway be damned) is trying to accomplish.  Her idea may have
>been somewhat "tounge in cheek" at first, but wouldn't it be great to see
>what some "out of the box" thinking could do for this sport?

Or perhaps both of them at the same time...  Near the end of the Boston
Chapter BMW CCA autocross season, we plan on running an "autocross
shootout."  We'll take the top 3 drivers in each BMW class and run them
against each other, using a handicap system that will be created based on
their car's point value in our class system and additional data we
accumulate throughout the year to pretty much eliminate any advantage an M
Coupe would have over, say, an '83 320i. >:)  So basically, the class
winners will compete directly against each other for a further award.  Kind
of like the Showcase Showdown on the Price is Right, except more exciting.
:)

    - Justin