RE: Significant Other Class

To: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>, <autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Significant Other Class
From: "Bill Fuhrmann" <bfuhrman@isd.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 08:57:12 -0500
> We were talking about how at the San Diego Tour a year ago, I, a
> competitor
> of 13 years, got to run Ladies, but my then boyfriend, Gumbo
> Lambrusco (not
> his real name), at his fifth autocross was pitted up against
> George Doganis,
> Kevin McCormick, and others. Gumbo thought this seemed backwards.

If I was allowed to run in a national track event, would I be allowed to run
against the women or would they make me run against other men?

If women do not have an inherent disadvantage to men in autocross, why
should they have their separate classes?

> So, that's why some of us think we need to have a Significant
> Others Class.
> This isn't just my idea. A whole bunch of us thought of it, and darn it,
> it's such a PC solution! It serves the same purpose of the Ladies
> class, but
> it's open to both genders.

If you have trophies for this class, people will want to win.  With a
women's class, it is relatively easy to police the people who are allowed to
enter.

With a SO class, who is eligible.  If you wanted to take an "easy" trophy,
you could bring your SO with you and claim that he was the main competitor
and you were the SO.

If I show up without an SO, can I drive in the class because I am a crappy
driver?

Unless you make the SO class a sideshow that is just for fun, you need to
clean up a lot of messy details.

As Pat Washburn has pointed out, we have a class called Special Interest
locally.  Anyone can drive any car in it.  No season records are kept.  In
order to keep someone from permanently sitting in it to pick up trophies (a
first place trophy is given out if there are three competitors), you are
kicked out of the class when you get a trophy.