RE: Significant Other Class

To: Bill Fuhrmann <bfuhrman@isd.net>, autox@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Significant Other Class
From: "Kelly, Katie" <kkelly@spss.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 1999 10:31:25 -0700
Bill Fuhrmann writes...

>If women do not have an inherent disadvantage to men in autocross, why
>should they have their separate classes?

The Ladies classes were invented long ago because it was believed they did
have an inherent disadvantage to men in autocross. It was the same
disadvantage that prevented women from being CEOs and pilots and engineers
and athletes.

Nowadays, the Ladies classes exists to preserve marriages, AND because many
women feel intimidated running with top male drivers. Some women who even
autocross on their own, STILL run in the Ladies class. They feel comfortable
there. I did for many, many years.

Now, let's get some things straight. It's not that women who run Ladies are
intimidated by competition. No, no, no, most LOVE competition. But talk to
some of them, they tell you how it is with their husbands and boyfriends,
and you just suddenly understand why they run Ladies.

So, is this limited to women? I don't think so. I bet there are some really
arrogant and egostistical women out there who cannot STAND being beaten by
men. Yours truly is one of them.

There are lots of men who would LOVE to run in the Ladies class, so I say,
open it up, then.

signed,
Katie Kelly, who kind of can't believe people are taking this all that
seriously.