Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)

To: Tombread@aol.com, derek.lola@home.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:58:42 -0500
As Derek said, this can be debated (choke, spew) ad nauseam by folks (like
me) who enjoy that sort of thing.  My answer is that for a racing car
(sports racer or formula type) the car  had to at least be constructed in
the period in question and should have been actually raced.  Later
editions, even though identical (Cobras, the various one or two off
recreations, the Crossle sports racers now in production again) don't
qualify.  This lets cars that were built in 1965, say, but were kept as
spares and not raced into the mix, and lets out cars that are modern
replicas even if made by the original guys in the original factory on the
original jigs, etc.  Production cars is a bit more lax (but getting
trickier as Mini's were still in production till August - can you say 2000
Cooper-S in vintage racing).

So the answer to your question is "no".  In my opinion, for whatever that
may be worth.

Cheers, Brian

At 08:28 AM 11/7/00 -0500, Tombread@aol.com wrote:
>Are Shelby Cobra replicas bona fide"vintage" racecars?
>
>tom
>

>Tom Butters
>The Greens Fork Group
>Creative Communications Services