Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)

To: "Brian Evans" <brian@uunet.ca>, <Tombread@aol.com>, <derek.lola@home.com>,
Subject: Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:21:56 -0600
My .02 and a few cents more....

I've never understood the need for a car, especially a production car, to
have had racing history for it to be eligible. It always seemed as if it was
an exclusionary tactic at best. Sort of... "I found mine... you go find
yours..."

I've always though that period preparation was the real key issue, not
history. Consider that few "time capsule" cars exist. Most race cars of the
era were constantly modified and updated to the then current spec... and to
be properly prepared for the spirit of vintage racing, must be reverse
engineered, rebuilt, or...gasp..."recreated". (Lot's of cars with "history"
out there that have nothing but a number plate in common with the original
identity.)

So, if I made the rules, any car of the correct vintage (not vintage
replica) qualifies. Most organizations, right or wrong, (and probably right)
tech cars mostly on a safety basis, while  eligibility and correct for class
modifications are given a quick sideways glance.

The thing that chaps my as most... is selective rule enforcement. A buddy of
"so and so", or the guy that's "run with us for a long time that way" is
allowed, yet others are excluded. Rules for everybody, or rules for nobody
ought to be...well... the rule.

WST