Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)

To: Anderci@aol.com
Subject: Re: But IS it a Vintage Racer? (was Eastlake)
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 2000 09:08:29 EST
In a message dated 11/7/00 8:52:24 AM US Eastern Standard Time, Anderci
writes:

<< YES! >>
Then does it follow that anything built to original specs (more or less) and
appearance (mainly more), allowing upgrades for safety reasons only with NO
enhancement in performance --   though it seems the latter often is a
consequence of the former--  qualifies as a vintage racecar?  If not, what
are the disqualifying factors?

I have no quarrel with the NASCAR machines since they are mainly a sideshow,
and a popular one, and run by themselves.  But a plastic-bodied modern Cobra
that mingles with the real thing seems like... false advertising.  I feel
disappointed, as I was when I learned the Ferraris on Miami Vice were not the
real thing.  Or when Ferris Buehler punted the Ferrari out of the garage into
the ravine--  knowing it was just a plastic look-alike, no matter how good,
suggests the intent to fool.  Watching the driver of a 1964 aluminum bodied
Cobra worth several hundred Gs working the corners is a worthwhile sight and
I don't want to find out later that the car actually was a 1994 fiberglass
bodied Chevy engined replica.  If authenticity is a hallmark of vintage
racing, then shouldn't replicas run in a separate class?

Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group
Creative Communications Services
765-886-5098