Re: Winterizing the TR6 ... distilled wisdom please

To: Dave1massey@cs.com, harry15@mindspring.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Winterizing the TR6 ... distilled wisdom please
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2005 19:14:03 EST
In a message dated 11/9/2005 1:26:55 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Dave1massey@cs.com writes:

Any  car with an intact evaporation control system (unvented tank and
charcoal
canister) will keep the gas fresh for 5 months.  Heck, I've started a  TR6 on
three your old gas.  The battery was dead and the carbs leaked  like
sprinklers
but it ran fine.  If you are storing a TR3 for 5  months I'd consider stabil
or something like that but I store my mower for  about that long with no
problems.

Dave

Dave,
The theory behind stabilizer is to run it thru to the carbs because that is
where the problem may occur.  Ever seen the bottom of a Z/S float  bowl?
Looks pretty cruddy huh?  I would rather error on the side of  caution that is
why
I usually use the stuff.  Even in my Wheel Horse!   Modern Gas formulations
are only meant to be stable for a short period of time  so I am told.  I picked
up on the run them empty philosophy from the folks  at the Crawford Auto
Museum here in Cleveland.  They swear by it, of course  the fact that they have
300 cars in a warehouse may have something to do with  it. The keep them full
theroy is meant to prevent rust within the tank.   However, since most of the
tanks on my restored cars are lined by the gas tank  RENU process that is not a
concern for me. Agreed, the short 5 month time frame  is a factor too.  I
always try to start each car every month, let it run  till operating
temperature
is achieved. I think everyone will agree that  the worst thing one can do to a
car is let it sit. Things go bad in my  experience.
Cheers,
Darrell

===     http://www.vtr.org