Re: Clutch not releasing

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Clutch not releasing
From: Joe Lynn <jlynn604@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 20:51:26 -0500
Thanks to all who replied to my TR3A clutch problem. When I reconnected
the slave linkage, there was no free play in the linkage. The lever was
now as far back as I can push it by hand. I pushed the pedal again, and
this time the pushrod  pushed the lever back another inch and the clutch
released. I took it for a test ride and it seems to be working well now.

When I was originally disassembling the slave for the rebuild I noticed
that I was missing the return spring. The clutch had sometimes been slow
to engage ever since I bought the car, so I ordered the spring from
Moss. Since then I've been told that the problem was more likely to be
in the flexible hose. I've replaced that, and at this point I don't have
the spring installed. If the spring pulls the piston back another 3/4"
into the bore, it seems like I'll be back to where I started when it
wasn't moving far enough to release the clutch? How far should the
pushrod travel when it is fully seated in the bore?

I'll try adding the spring back in the next week to see what happens.
For now, I'm going to enjoy the warm spell we're having here in SE PA.

All the best,
Joe Lynn

===     http://www.vtr.org