Re: Clutch not releasing

To: John Herrera <jrherrera90@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch not releasing
From: Joe Lynn <jlynn604@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 21:32:52 -0500
John Herrera wrote:

>> When I initially went to install the slave cylinder, the piston was
>> so far out that I couldn't attach the pushrod. I had a hard time
>> getting it to move at all, but eventually it went far back into the
>> cylinder. I didn't take a precise measurement, but it seemed like
>> more than an inch.
>

> I'm thinking out loud, so forgive me if I'm off base, but is it
> possible to mount the slave cylinder on the wrong side of the mounting
> bracket thingie?
>
> I'm too lazy to go look at mine.
>
> John

Maybe this explains the mystery of the extra travel I have with the
return spring: I installed the slave by starting on the side of the
bracket towards the front of the car and pushing it back through towards
the clutch. So the flange where the bolts go through is on the side
further away from the clutch. That was how it was installed before I
started messing with it. I thought it was weird that I had to remove the
long bent bolt that attaches to the block in order to remove the slave.
I even verified that it was mounted the same way on another TR3.

But now I'm looking at the pictures in my Haynes manual and the Triumph
Service Instruction Manual, and it looks like the flange should be on
the other side of the bracket. This would move the whole cylinder about
1/2 inch closer to the clutch arm. Can anyone say definitely that this
would be the right side?

Thanks,
Joe Lynn

===     http://www.vtr.org