Clutch not releasing

To: Triumph List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clutch not releasing
From: Joe Lynn <jlynn604@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 05 Nov 2005 11:52:00 -0500
I've just replaced all the hydraulics on my TR3A. This included
rebuilding the two master cylinders and the clutch slave (done by Apple
hydraulics), rebuilding the brake calipers (done by Triumph Rescue), new
wheel cylinders, and replacing all the steel lines & the flexible hoses
(with SS braided). I then filled the system with DOT 5. After a couple
of bleeding attempts I have the brakes working acceptably, but the
clutch won't release.

When I initially went to install the slave cylinder, the piston was so
far out that I couldn't attach the pushrod. I had a hard time getting it
to move at all, but eventually it went far back into the cylinder. I
didn't take a precise measurement, but it seemed like more than an inch.

I've been assuming that the clutch problem is hydraulic, but now I'm
starting to wonder. I adjusted the master cylinder to get maximum pedal
throw. I tried adjusting the slave pushrod to it's maximum length, but
still no joy -- with the pedal fully depressed, shifting into 2nd starts
the wheels moving and trying to shift into 1st grinds the gears. Pushing
the clutch pedal in moves the slave pushrod by about 3/4"

Now for my questions:

1. If I disconnect the slave pushrod and push the lever as far back as I
can by hand, should that release the clutch? (It doesn't). If not, how
much force should it take to move it further?

2. I initially tried using a Gunson's EZ-bleed. When I was still having
problems, I bled it again with the EZ-bleed connected and pumping the
clutch pedal at the same time. Is there a better procedure? I degassed
the DOT5 before bleeding using a Mity-vac.

3. What is the normal position for the slave piston when the pedal is
up? Would it be all the ways in as far as it can go, or only partially?
Should this adjust itself during bleeding?

Thanks,
Joe Lynn
59 TR3A

===     http://www.vtr.org