Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback

To: "triu autox" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2003 17:57:00 -0800
| > I like ebay's feedback system!  I agree that the comments themselves
| > are all basically the same, but the positive feed back percentage is a
| > good barometer of the ebayers honesty.  Anyone who doesn't believe in
| > it has not been ripped off....yet....by an unscrupulous seller.
|
| That is not true, it is a poor indicator of an eBayer's honesty.  Like
| someone mentioned earlier, sellers can with-hold posting feedback until
the
| buyer has posted postive feedback... so if you're going to hold feedback
| like a ransom payment, then where is the honesty?

Why Kai, I believe you just called me a liar.<grin, just kidding>.  But
seriously, I guess what I should have said was that for ME, it is a good
barometer of a sellers honesty.  I am blissfully unaware of any pending
feedback, either withheld on purpose, or just in mid-transaction.  If I am
faced with two auctions, for two identical parts, I will check the feedback.
If one sellar has 25% negatives and the other seller has 100% positives, I
wont even consider the seller with the high negative score.  Instead, I will
breath a sigh of relief and thank ebay for the help the feedback system
provides.  Sure, if someone only has a couple of negatives, I will probably
overlook it, depending on how bad I want the part.  It's always a gamble
isn't it?  Even with high positive score sellers.  Kind of exciting.
That's what an auction is all about.

Your other arguements are well taken.  It is not a perfect system.  But, I
haven't heard anyone come up with a better one.

And I also agree that this, at least peripherally, is about LBCs.  I
frequently boast that my TR3 is a car built entirely via the internet.  The
knowledge base is incredible and I have purchased a great deal of parts from
ebay that are no longer available anywhere else.  I couldn't have done it
without the help of the internet.

So now that Kai and I have shared our secret parts source, I hope the rest
of you wont be buying all the good parts out from under me.  I'm still waiti
ng for my turn to buy a $100 ashtray.  Of course, I'll have to take up
smoking.

Paul W.
Torrance, CA
1956 ebay TR3