Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback

To: "triu autox" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback
From: "Paul Willoughby's Home" <paulwillou@socal.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 21:34:42 -0800
I like ebay's feedback system!  I agree that the comments themselves are all
basically the same, but the positive feed back percentage is a good
barometer of the ebayers honesty.  Anyone who doesn't believe in it has not
been ripped off....yet....by an unscrupulous seller.

The feedback system is an ingenious method of aiding the principal of
"caveat emptor - let the buyer beware".  Since we are buying/selling on
faith that the other person is going to hold up their end of the deal, it is
a pretty good method of determining who is honest and who can't be trusted.
Unfortunately, there is no real way to police several million individual
nickel and dime transactions that ebay brokers every week, but the feedback
system helps.  For those of us who are primarily buyers, we can look at a
sellers high feedback rating and rest assured that we are not going to get
ripped off by sending money to someone we don't know.

I for one, have been ripped off because I didn't check the seller's rating.
(Don't worry, it was a Ford part seller, not a triumph person <grin>).  I
sent the money, never got the product.  Trying to be a nice guy, I repeated
emailed the seller for months.  He would ignore a couple emails then respond
that he was behind and would ship immediately.  During that time frame, he
started piling up even more negative ratings.  He must have ripped off a
hundred people before ebay suspended him.  BTW, ebay and paypal have strict
time limits on when they will act on a complaint.  If you are not happy, you
must complain to ebay ASAP or they will tell you "too bad, too late".

Given human nature, the end of the feedback system would be the end of ebay.

End of rant mode.  Say isn't this a forum about little British cars?

Paul W., Torrance, CA
1964 TR4
1956 TR3 purchased on ebay