Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback

To: Triumph <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Followup on Ebay Feedback
From: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 18:17:42 -0600
Paul Dorsey wrote:

> Isn't there a likelyhood that someone who you give negative feedback to can,
> in return, do something to give you negative feedback for revenge.  How can
> this be prevented?
> Thanks, Paul
>
> P.S.  This does NOT apply to my recent situation as that seller was not at
> fault, I was!

It cannot be prevented. That is both the strength and the weakness of the
system.

Any transactor can leave a negative, regardless of merit. These comments cannot
be removed or retracted. You can add follow up messages, but once the original
comment is placed, it is irrevocable.

Most sellers withhold comment on a buyer until the buyer has received the item
and commented. In this way, they can at least retaliate with a negative to the
buyer. I don't do this. I post my comment as soon as the buyer pays, then ship
the item.

I currently have a 100% rating. I hope to keep it that way. The only way I know
how is to offer total disclosure. Of 300 plus items sold, I've refunded full
payment on one item and partial on one other. In both cases, I missed a flaw
and
didn't describe it or photo it in my ad. In a third instance, I offered a
partial or full refund, but the buyer declined either and used the item.

For the most part, the Ebay comment system can be a very good barometer of the
type of seller you are dealing with. If nothing else, it gives you a thumbnail
of what other buyers think.

You can also use it to review the seller's most recent sales. This may be
helpful in determining how active and knowledgeable the seller is in the area
you are buying in.

Andy "No Current Auctions" Litkowiak