TR6: 3-point seat belt retrofit

To: "M. Secrest" <vze34wdb@verizon.net>, triumphs@autox.team.net hAH0TGFG010833
Subject: TR6: 3-point seat belt retrofit
From: David Massey <105671.471@compuserve.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:28:12 -0500
Message text written by "M. Secrest"
>What's the best way to do this?
<

The 72 TR6 should have come equipped with three point belts.  Did some PO
take them out and replace them with lap only belts?

At any rate there are mounting provisions for the three point system
already on the car.  Two are probaly in use with the lap belts.  The third
one is a hole in the wheel arch with a reinforcing washer welded in.  This
is where the shoulder belt attaches.  On later cars (73 on, I believe)
there is another hole in the wheel arch directly below this one for the
recoil retractor used on later cars.  I retrofited retractors into my 71 by
drilling this lower hole and bolting the retractors in with humongus fender
washers to prevent the bolts from tearing out upon impact.  Thankfully I
have never tested the system.

Cheers

Dave
71 TR6