Re: powdercoat floorpans?

To: vafred@erols.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: powdercoat floorpans?
From: McGaheyRx@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 23:37:22 EST
In a message dated 11/11/03 7:18:28 AM Eastern Standard Time,
vafred@erols.com writes:

> BMW 5000 &7000 series are being
> powder-coated in clear in Europe for the past 2 years, this begins in the
> U/S in 2005,

During a tour of the BMW plant at Greer, SC last month, our tour guide
described the intermediate finish stage and called it "electrostatic paint"
- sure sounded like powder coat to me.
In a crash test display in the Zentrum (BMW museum at the plant) the
badly crumpled hood of an M5 had absolutley no breaks or cracks
in the finish surface - sure looked like powder coat to me.
Cheers
Jack Mc