Re: powdercoat floorpans?

To: "Andrew H. Litkowiak" <andylit@covad.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: powdercoat floorpans?
From: "Fred Thomas" <vafred@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 09:10:37 -0500
A. Litkowiak wrote ::

> Very expensive and irreversible. If it isn't perfect, you're screwed.
>
> And, even the best materials will not produce a finish equal to a good
paint
> job. I don't care what people say, you can't powdercoat surfaces like
bonnet and
> boot and expect them to look like a high quality paint job.
>
>owder is not a rust proofer. When the item rusts underneath powder, it
takes
longer to become apparent and less of the steel is left by the time you
figure
it out.

No mater how well you prep the steel, powder will not prevent rust.
====

Andy, I beg to differ with you, as long as something is painted/sealed
completely it will not rust, bare metal will rust, painted metal will not,
and yes you can get a deeper clearer deepth of color with powder than you
can with paint, within the next 10 years "ALL" autos will be powder-coated,
why, not only cost and enviros but non-rusting and rust is the biggest
problems auto makers have always faced, why do you think John Deer went to
P/C, why is 95% of outdoor furniture P/Ced, why are all of your applianes
P/Ced, and the list of products that are P/Ced goers on and on, and lastly
it is the cheapest way to go, one gal of =red enamel paint= (not 2 stage) is
$180.00, 2 lbs of  "Powder' is $5.00, now if you want to call that expensive
I'm lost and nothing is "irrreversible, especially PC, Better inform BMW
that powder-coating does not hold up, they 're into full swing.  "FT"