TR6 Bearing Number Questions and Project Update

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 Bearing Number Questions and Project Update
From: "J.Cole" <cole.jw@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:46:57 -0800
 Here comes a likely overasked question, but I couldn't find much about it on
the web or archives. 1972 TR6 main bearing part number 149082 and rod bearing
part number 149081. Neither one has any numbers after it. I have been led to
believe the number would contain a "-20" if it were 20 over, etc. Are mine
"standard" since they have no other number? I measured the crankshaft endfloat
at .010". Pity there isn't a size written on the bearings. Am I just supposed
to measure the thickness?

 Why do I have it apart with an endfloat reading of .010? Because I have no
record of when and if anything has been done to the car, or if it was done
correctly. If the paintwork is anything to go by, they cut a few corners.
Besides, the tranny has to come out anyway. The clutch pins are shot at the
least.

 In other news, I got the dreaded differential mount studs and supports welded
in. The driveshaft is refinished and has new U-joints. I have that car
scattered all over the garage. Good thing I don't plan to have it in one piece
until next year.

Jerry Cole
Lakewood, WA.
1972 TR6