RE: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 15:21:41 -0800
Randall wrote :

> I'll also throw in my old warning about using Lucas terms to buy new
> parts
> with ... my TR3A has a (non-Lucas) coil marked "12v Use with external
> ballast".

Joe Curry replied :

> What you are saying makes no sense at all.  If a 12 volt coil is the
> same as a coil with internal ballast, why would you need to externally
> ballast the coil?

Because of the difference between British and American terminology.  In
American terminology, a "12 volt coil" is one designed to be used with a 12
volt electrical system, regardless of whether it requires a ballast resistor
or not.  A "6 volt coil" would be one designed to be used with a 6 volt
electrical system.

Randall