Re: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?

To: Ryoung@navcomtech.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?
From: ZoboHerald@aol.com
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 19:17:13 EST
In a message dated 11/4/2003 6:59:47 PM Eastern Standard Time,
Ryoung@navcomtech.com writes:

> But that simply isn't true, Joe.  I'm not sure of the exact changeover, but
> I know that later TR6 had externally ballasted Lucas coils, as does my 1971
> Stag.  And although I don't have one handy at the moment, I have held a
"6v"
> (ie externally ballasted) Lucas Sports coil in my hand.

Oh, what the heck, I'll jump in yet again. I looked it up. ;-)

>From 1971 on, Spitfires and GT6s used a 6v coil with an external ballast
resistor. For the first few years, that resistor was a little ceramic block,
but
by about 1974 or so it was special wire built into the harness. I'm not as
familiar with the TR6s, but according to the Lucas catalogs I have (up through
1973), 1973 was the first year that the TR6 used the 6v coil and an external
ballast resistor.

Before 1971 (pre-1973 for the TR6), the Spitfires and GT6s used a 12v coil.

I have the Lucas part numbers if anyone cares (off-list, please)!

Maybe Lucas did have some "internally ballasted" coils, but I'm not yet
convinced that, if they did, they were used on Triumphs at least in the era
I'm
talking about as per the above.

--Andy Mace

*Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?
*Man: Well, no ... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,
 Triumph Herald engine with wings.