RE: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?

To: "'Randall Young'" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Allison XR7000 wiring and setup on TR6?
From: "Joe Curry" <spitlist@cox.net>
Date: Tue, 4 Nov 2003 16:13:27 -0700
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-triumphs@autox.team.net
[mailto:owner-triumphs@autox.team.net] On Behalf Of Randall Young
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2003 3:27 PM
To: triumphs@autox.team.net

> Previously, unless the electrical system itself was 6v,
> the cars used 12v coils.

Ok, we're back to that old argument ... don't feel like arguing again,
but
"internally ballasted coil" is semantically equivalent to "12v coil".
Kind
of like arguing over whether your pistons have wrist pins or gudgeon
pins
... or whether a 35 amp fuse should carry 35 amps.

I'll also throw in my old warning about using Lucas terms to buy new
parts
with ... my TR3A has a (non-Lucas) coil marked "12v Use with external
ballast".

Randall

Randall,
What you are saying makes no sense at all.  If a 12 volt coil is the
same as a coil with internal ballast, why would you need to externally
ballast the coil?  The best way to see if a coil has internal ballast is
to measure the resistance across the coil.  If the coil is internally
ballasted, it will measure 3 to 4 ohms across the positive and negative
terminals.  If you get that reading, you don't need external ballast
wire or resistor.

Joe